Social Code Juried Exhibition
ART VS. SOCIAL MEDIA
“By “art,” let’s say we mean the products of the traditional, professionalized art world, a privileged class of esthetic objects set apart from ordinary communicative acts, authored by a special person called an artist.
For “social media,” let’s say we mean all these new-fangled media platforms which are highly accessible, and based around enabling open-ended conversations between networks of participants.
The utility of this operation is that it lets us see that the question of “art and social media” actually involves an opposition between two different fields, with different logics: a relatively exclusive, closed-in type of expression vs. a relatively open, relation-based mode of operation.
This means that there can be no harmonious merger of the two terms, just various ways of navigating the tension between them. (The only thing that would be “social media art” in the full and genuine sense would be a social networking service actually designed as an art project, which would raise all sorts of questions.)” Ben Davis
• Open to artists/creatives ages 18+ working in All media 2-D, 3-D, Video, Installations etc.
• Must be new work, less than two years old.
• Artists may submit multiple pieces.
• Artwork can range from Facebook feeds to Instagram worthy installations and beyond. You are encouraged to get out of the box creative; create/submit something that viewers want to post and interact with.
TO SUBMIT, email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with artist name and “SOCIAL CODE Submission” in the subject line.
– 1-2 image of each piece
– Statement or description of the piece
– Title, Medium, size, year in name of file
– Artist Contact Information
Applications and all artwork due July 20th, 2018
The exhibition and awards will be juried by Nicole Hickey, Manager of Artist Services, Palm Beach Cultural Council.
Best in Show (Featured image and article on our promo materials, website and social media, New letter)
2nd place (Featured image on website and social media, newsletter)
3rd place and People’s Choice (Featured image on social media and website)